Saturday, February 24, 2007

The genius loci :



Consult the genius of the place in all;/That tells the waters or to rise,or fall;/Or helps th' ambitious hill the heav'ns to scale,/Or scoops in circling theatres the vale;/Calls in the country, catches opening glades,/Joins willing woods, and varies shades from shades,/Now breaks, or now directs, th' intending lines;/Paints as you plant, and, as you work, designs.

In Wikipedia's entry on the genius of place, they quote these Alexander Pope lines from Epistle IV, to Richard Boyle, Earl of Burlington. Pope captures much of the essence of the term and much of my intent in this blog:


As I live here and write, I invoke the genius of my place. I celebrate it in my arts be they writings, drawings, sculptures, gardens, or any creations of my spirit. As I am rooted here, so shall I flourish in my community which is also being created here in harmony with the genius of the land. I have no photos of this genius, but this image glances in its direction.